The beauty of art and culture
Taitung's old name was “Douzang,” meaning “the place where the Puyuma and Amis live. In the Qing Dynasty, Han settlers from Fujian in China and Pingpu plains aborigines moved to the area, and Fujianese from Fangliao began to trade with the aborigines, leading to the development of the first Han settlement in Taitung. Douzang was the meeting point of art and culture from all around Taiwan; in bountiful and beautiful Taitung it was preserved, merged peacefully and developed independently, giving Taitung a pronounced cultural air today.
Tiehua Music Village
Tiehua Music Village is the place to enjoy a romantic evening of music. Listen to local singers with enchanting voices and unaffected style and browse through an art creativity market; you are invited you to appreciate the most beautiful sounds of Taiwan with the simplest life attitude.
- Opening times 17:00~22:00 Tuesday to Sunday
- Address No.26, Ln. 135, Sinsheng Rd., Taitung City
- TEL 089-343393
Taitung Railway Art Village
Old Taitung Railway Station is over 80 years old and completely preserves the simplicity of Japanese railway culture. Today, it has been transformed into a railway art village, giving this place of memories new life as a venue for artistic creativity in which people and space actively interact, forming a tourist spot with cultural refinement.
- Opening times Park open all day; warehouse opening time: 10︰00～17︰00, Tuesday to Saturday.
- Address No.369,Tiehua Rd.,Taitung City,Taitung County
- TEL +886-89-320378
Taitung Story Museum
This two-story building was formerly the land administration office;today, the first floor is a café and book store while part of the second floor is Taitung Story Museum. Every year the book store holds ten exhibitions centered on famous people from Taitung, using their life journey to convey the spirit of Taitung people.
- Opening times 11 : 00～21︰00 ; 10︰30～22︰00,Saturday to Sunday ; closed on Tuesday.
- Address No. 478, Bo-ai Rd.,Taitung City
- TEL 089-346203
Taitung Art Museum
Following the concepts of mountain and ocean, the design merges in the connotations of Taitung's natural resources. With pure art and touchable exhibits, the two main exhibition halls, Mountain Song and Ocean Dance, provide the people of Taitung with a cultural temple for learning and exchange.
- Opening times 9:00 ~ 12:00、13:30~17:00, Tuesday to Sunday;closed Mondays and national holidays.
- Address No.350,Jhejiang Road,Taitung City
- TEL 089-330252
Baoting Art and Culture Center
Baoting is the old place name. The art and cultural center is housed in the renovated employees’ dormitory of the Japanese Colonial Period township office. Inside, it has static exhibitions and a lecture space; the perimeter wall has been taken down to join the space and the community and it is used for exhibitions and performances.
- Opening times 9:00~12:00、14:00~17:00, Tuesday to Sunday ; closed Monday.Free entry;some exhibition spaces are only open if booked in advance.
- Address No.184,Jhongshan Rd.,Taitung City
- TEL 089-340407
Taitung Performing Art Center
Taitung Performing Art Center lies near Taitung Railway Art Village. Its eye-catching architecture gives people a strong first impression, and its internal equipment is complete. It is a quality venue for small theaters as well as a space to display Taitung’s local artistic creations.
- Opening times Tue-Sat 09:00~12:00、14:00~18:00
- Address 2F.,No.671,Kaifeng St., Taitung City
- TEL 089-346709